The Las Vegas Aces are dominating the New York Liberty in the WNBA Finals, defeating the Liberty 104-76 in Game 2. The Aces have taken a quick 2-0 series lead which means they only need one more win to become the first back-to-back WNBA champions in 21 years.
The Aces jumped out to an early lead in Game 2, scoring the most points (38) in a first quarter by a team in WNBA Finals history. It was also the second-highest scoring quarter by a team in WNBA Finals history.
Aces center A’ja Wilson finished with a game-high 26 points on 10-of-16 shooting to go along with 15 rebounds. It was her fourth double-double in her WNBA Finals career. Wilson has seen her fair share of success with a historic 53-point performance earlier this season and a trip to the White House in August for the Aces 2022 championship celebration.
Chelsea Gray added 14 points, 11 assists and six rebounds for the fourth double-double in her postseason career. Kelsey Plum finished with 23 points on 7-of-14 shooting and 5-of-8 shooting from 3-point range. Her eight assists were a personal best for this postseason. Jackie Young scored 24 points on 9-of-16 with eight rebounds and four assists.
Liberty center Jonquel Jones finished with 22 points and 10 rebounds. Wednesday was her eighth double-double. Breanna Stewart finished with a double-double of 14 points and 13 rebounds, ending her stretch at seven consecutive WNBA Finals games scoring at least 20 points.
Las Vegas improves to 7-0 this postseason, while New York falls to 5-3 this postseason.
The series will head to New York for Game 3 on Sunday, October 15 where the Liberty will try to take advantage of being at home. It’s a must win game for the Liberty if they want to avoid a sweep and stay in championship hunt.
Key Game 2 Stats
• The first quarter was the second-highest combined scoring first quarter (57 points) in WNBA Finals history.
• The 19-point lead at the end of the first quarter was the second largest lead by a team at the end of the opening quarter.
• Las Vegas shot 14-of-20 from the floor in the first quarter, which tied a WNBA Finals record for most made field goals in a quarter. It was the fourth time a team made 14 field goals in a quarter in WNBA Finals history.
• Las Vegas distributed 12 assists in the first quarter, which tied a WNBA Finals record for most assists in a quarter. The Aces finished with 17 assists at the end of the first half, which tied the second most assists by a team in a half in a WNBA finals game.
• The 31 assists from Las Vegas were the third most ever recorded by a team in a WNBA Finals game.
• The 13 made 3-point field goals for Las Vegas tied the second most 3-point field goals in a WNBA Finals game of this postseason, continuing her stretch of the most by a player in a single postseason in WNBA history.
• Liberty all-time postseason record: 33-42 – Liberty all-time road game postseason record: 11-25
• Aces all-time postseason record: 32-36 – Aces all-time home game postseason record: 24-16